Monday, November 30, 2009

My students are Looney-Toons

Wow, today is totally the worst Monday ever!!!!

I had to threaten three young men with straight-jackets..... they took me up on the offer, now where do I acquire some of those???

My kids had this for a warm-up today: Fully DESCRIBE a place that you know very well. Explain it so that your reader will also know it very well. Include as many sensory details as possible, when I read it I want to feel like I am there. You have 8 minutes to write.

Check out some of the cool things I got in response:

  • "It smelled up there, a thick warm smell of wet cardboard, sawdust and cedar. Magic smells like that I think."

  • "A place I know really well is my room, because my room is me." -T.G.

  • "...it's cozy there, so much so that you normally trip over something on your way to sit down..." -A.H

  • "There's a place I visit with my grandpa, the trout fear us there, as they should...our fishing poles are our weapons, and the trees and rocks our shelter as we sit there." -K.Y.

  • "My old bedroom in Germany had a window that could open whichever way you'd like, in the middle of my slanted ceiling, on the left side of the room. " -C.C.

  • "The park. No, it's not that kind of park with the swings and the jungle gym. It's the park with the green grass, flowers blooming and the sidewalk leading down by the river that takes you under the bridge..." V.C.

  • "At the end of a dead-end street there is a forest filled with clovers, vines, flowers and decidious trees. In this forest there is a small path running through it, up and down. Near the end of the path is a large slope that leads to a flat by a big flowing river...." D.M.

This will be a super awesome week. I'm sure of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment